Is My Consumer Unit / Fuse Board Safe?
Great Britain has a reasonably good record of electrical safety but the most recent figures available from the Electrical Safety Councils “how safe is your home” booklet:
- Annually around 70 people die and 350,000 people are injured due to electrical accidents at home
- A report commissioned by the government also found that around 20,000 house fires are as a result of electrical problems and would have been prevented if an RCD had been fitted
- Over half of UK homes, 13 million do not have RCD protection
Old fuse boards that do not meet the current 17th edition IEE wiring regulations can become dangerous depending on the load placed upon them. Every electrical installation deteriorates with age and use.
If your fuse board has a wooden backing, cast iron switches or a mixture of fuses it more than likely dates back to pre-1960 and will therefore require replacement. These older fuse boards give little or no protection from electric shocks and should be upgraded to a new Consumer Unit which meets the current 17th edition IEE wiring regulations.
The new consumer units which meet the current 17th Edition wiring regulations have dual RCD (Residual Current Breakers) to split the load and ensure that if one RCD trips then there is still some power to each floor of the property and gives protection against electric shocks.
Look at our checklist to see if you may need a new Consumer Unit (Fuse board)
- Has your wiring been checked in the last 10 years by a qualified electrician?
- Does your fuseboard have replaceable fuse wire?
- Do your fuses blow regularly?
- Do you have lights that use twisted old type flex?
- Do your sockets or plugs get hot or have burn marks?
- Do you need to use extension leads?
- Do you have flex that is rubber covered?
- Are your cables missing an earth cable?
- Do you use electrical equipment outside?
- Are you at all concerned about your electrical installation?
If you have any questions about our fuse boards or our electrical services in Witney or you would like a quotation for a new Consumer Unit, please do give Leisa a call on 01993 359515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org she will be happy to help you or arrange a quotation for you.
Prestige Electrical Services Witney look forward to being of service to you.
Areas we cover near Witney:
Bampton | Witney | Eynsham | Burford | Ducklington | Long Hanborough | Curbridge | Stanton Harcourt | Standlake
Minster Lovell | Crawley | Hailey | Northleigh | Farmoor | Northmoor | Freeland | Combe
Stonesfield | New Yatt | Swinbrook | Church Hanborough